WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES SERVICE DOG?
- Any returned COMBAT VETERAN who has been HONORABLY discharged from the U.S. armed forces, and some active duty military personnel who have been certified by their rehabilitation specialist that they require the assistance of a service dog for help with their PTSD.
HOW MUCH DOES NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES SERVICE DOG TRAINING COST?
- There is no cost to the combat veteran. Once you have been paired with your dog, you will be responsible for all the food and basic medical care. Your dog will become your responsibility.
I HAVE PTSD. WHAT CAN A NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES DOG DO FOR ME?
- A Northwest Battle Buddies dog can aid you in many areas of your life. The dog can and will be your constant companion in public and/or social situation. The dog provides emotional support and companionship which will aid in your return to independence, creating more of a reason to keep moving forward toward a healthy life. Just to name a few.
I AM STILL ON ACTIVE DUTY. CAN I GET A SERVICE DOG?
- Your commanding officer must approve in writing that your participation will be allowed. We do place service dogs with qualified active duty personnel.
WHAT KINDS OF DOGS ARE USED FOR NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES
- We are not breed specific, we receive dogs from local shelters or by community donation. The dogs are young and mentally and physically healthy. A local veterinary clinic provides a health exam and certification. The criteria for a Northwest Battle Buddies dog is: sociable, confident and 2 years of age or less. Each service dog is evaluated and paired with the veteran according to the individual’s unique requirements.
WHAT SORT OF TRAINING DO THE NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES GO THROUGH?
- Each service dog is trained for individuals’ particular requirements, including passing the Canine Good Citizen Test and the Public Access Test
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES DOG?
- You may apply directly to Northwest Battle Buddies, however, we urge you to contact your local VA rehabilitation specialist to ensure that you receive all the services you’re entitled to, and that there is a coordination of services.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- You will be required to fill out the application, either online or we can mail it to you. Submit your application to email@example.com, along with your DD214 and then our Veteran Liaison will contact you and email you the additional forms and let you know about any additional needed information.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THE NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES SERVICE DOG?
- Northwest Battle Buddies dogs are trained to navigate the outside world and your particular lifestyle, as well as their other special services. Each dog takes 6-8 months to finish. Upon the approval of your application, you will receive a letter of completion. The waiting period is based on availability and order of applicants’ waiting list.
WHERE DOES THE NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES DOG RECEIVE TRAINING?
- Services are available at a variety of locations. Northwest Battle Buddies dogs are specifically trained to navigate everyday life situations. Training will be conducted not only at the Northwest Battle Buddies professional training facility but also in the outside world in places such as: restaurants, public transportation, shopping malls, grocery stores, theaters, airport and anywhere the veterans may frequent.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE LIFE OF THE NORTHWEST BATTLE BUDDIES SERVICE DOG?
- The service dog’s career depends on how active you are, it is our hope that, you can expect the dog will have eight to ten good working years.
WHAT SORT OF FOLLOW-UP SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ONCE I RETURN HOME?
Once you have completed the training with Northwest Battle Buddies, you are eligible for a lifetime of aftercare. Should you require follow-up training, our staff will arrange to work with you on any questions or concerns you might have in a prompt and professional manner, which may include a home site visit.
We recognize the sacrifices that you have made for our nation. We will do our part to see that your Northwest Battle Buddies service dog will help you to lead an active, independent life
HOW LONG IS THE TRAINING FOR MY NEW SERVICE DOG WITH ME?
- You will need to plan six weeks of training sessions in various locations with your new service dog. It will be necessary to ensure that you and your dog are working well together, and that you have a full understanding and knowledge of how to work with your service dog while abiding by the guidelines set forth by the ADA and Northwest Battle Buddies.